Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 76

Thread: DVD Burning Fully Operational

  1. #11
    Scott Nocella
    Guest Scott Nocella's Avatar

    Post

    Clark, In order for me to do right by you we both need to work together. You would need to supply me with photoshop work of the design of the buttons and background that you want to access your work. It's not as simple as just sending me footage and me burning a DVD for you.....Send me an email detailing your needs and if you can provide me with a photoshop work or not then I can respond to your request with economic fact. If I need to design this for you it pushes the price up since that would be billable time. I really want to work with people from this board, but in order for me to do that the photoshop work would need to be done and sent via CDR or email.


    Right now I do not have enough information to respond to you. My email is within my profile and I'm very easily accessable. Drop me a line.

    Scott

    ------------------

  2. #12
    Alex
    Guest Alex's Avatar

    Post


    Scott, are you able to make what I think is called a "glass master", so the additional DVD's can be mass produced at a very inexpensive price?

    -Alex

    ------------------

  3. #13
    Scott Nocella
    Guest Scott Nocella's Avatar

    Post

    Alex,

    It can be used as a source to replicate from. It's expensive, and there are mimimal orders that companies usually request. I have had requests from my clients that want a large amount of Discs to distribute.

    Costs are high for duplication at present moment. Things change, given time. I believe in this case that will not be anywhere in the immediate future, since those who want to enforce copyright via lawsuits will not let that be. Money is ultimately the first and last thing people have problem dealing with.

    I usually leave that choice(financial decision) with an individual to answer to themselves about. I will do the same for this forum and to anybody that wants an anwer about money here in the future.

    Glass Master sounds like DVD slang to me for a process that takes a significant amount of time and expense to accomplish at present moment.

    I believe I have shared a lot of myself here in a good way.

    If we trust one another(all people)....over time we can effect change not only within ourselves but among many people...That's my goal for the work that I do. That's what was lost and needs to be found again among many people today. I'm happy that there are many people I know and love that walk this way at present time. It's not easy but that is ultimately what is necessary at this point in order for there to be global healing.

    Alex I hope that answers your post. At present time I am working my tail off on completing the editing work on our project, and time is extremely limited between family life and spending time with the people I care about....If you or anybody wants to pick up the phone I will speak to them....I prefer not to post my home number here, but I will email it anybody that wants to make the call.
    It's respect for one anothers concept of time to have a conversation that goes beyond typing.

    Scott


    ------------------

  4. #14
    Scott Nocella
    Guest Scott Nocella's Avatar

    Post

    DVD replication is expensive compared to CD replication since DVDs will be the new audio and video standard. DVDs will replace CDs in the near future since the quality of sampling rates and tracks is substantially better than CDs. The groundwork has been laid to perpetuate copyright, which is the foundation of letting technology drip down to the masses. That's in place firmly and now DVDs are becoming the standard of the next change.

    As for how that relates to a film maker on the super 8 mm forum I believe that your options for presenting your film increase since you can offer that much more of what your project is about via additional sequences, Cast and crew interviews, etc.

    As for Sound wouldn't it be great to be able to project from a DVD player and put sound out to a Dolby decoder and give your audience the theater experience of Surround.....with a LFE(Low Frequency Effects)channel...Bass Baby!!!. I know I want my project to have it. That's enhancing the viewers experience.

    As for building the DVD, the bottom line is that it takes time for the computer to process all the information and burn DVDs....that is the case at present moment. So immediate gratification is possilbe....with patience and care to get the end product.

    I believe that would thoroughly bring home the power of super 8mm and do justice to the format of film. It looks good on DVD...since I'm a sound person by trade I really enjoy DVDs.

    The really cool DVDs are intricate and from what I have observed use what appear to be After Affects and complex software. It's doable but with a major investment of time as with all things. Should you want to know more check out Apple's website on DVD Studio Pro 1.1.

    Sharing is Caring!!!

    It took some time to learn the programs, and I have a very firm respect for designers and creatives who put their ideas down. The idea is to have vision as with film and put the vision to reality. It's a tried and true practical way of thinking.

    Whether people use my services is okay either way with me.....I'm doing it to enhance the professionalism of my project.

    Scott

    ------------------

  5. #15
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    Thanks for the info, Scott. However, I'm still confused about mass duplication. I guess I should have posed it as a technical question and not an economics question. Is there a fundamental difference in the way DVDs are mass duplicated compared to CD mass duplication? Or is DVD mass duping more expensive simply because it's the newest flavor?

    Roger

  6. #16
    Alex
    Guest Alex's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alex:


    Ultimately, most people wanting a DVD will want more than one, and probably minimum a dozen to as many as several thousand.

    So once the initial time has been spent creating one DVD, does that time already invested and paid for result in a much cheaper mass run of DVD's?

    -Alex
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Has this part of the question been answered?

    Even though DVD is superior to VHS in so many ways, once I have a qood quality tape master, I can make 10 VHS copies at a time myself, or go to a duplicator and get 50-500 at a time...

    There is disc of confusion so to speak in regards to DVD.

    The big boys (major motion picture studios) seem to get a glass master DVD made that allows them to run off thousands of copies quickly and cheaply (or is there a limit of several thousand DVD's per each glass master made).

    But when us simple folk have a DVD created, somehow, ours are different, not in playback, but in the ability to make DVD's from the original DVD.

    You can't make a new DVD from an existing DVD.

    And we CANNOT run off dozens or hundreds of copies quickly and cheaply, as it involves issues of copyright protection.

    Once you allow a home user the technology to make a "glass" master and have the ability to run off a thousand copies of their own DVD master quickly and cheaply, what's to stop anyone from running off DVD's of every major motion picture ever made!

    Sad to say, VHS may be around a LOT longer than anyone cares to admit.

    But once again, a few DVD's can still be a very good thing to have, but the most logical way to finance the making of a DVD is to be able to sell at least 50 to 100 to get back the DVD costs.

    What is the correct type of DVD master that needs to be created, and is it available to the simple folk like us?

    Here's an analogy, making a DVD right now is like using an optical printer to make A COPY of your super-8 film...

    A good idea, but what if I want five more copies, do I have to do it as an "optical" everytime?

    The one thing about VHS, it may not be anywhere as good as DVD, but at least you can do a run of several copies all at once.

    An important distinction for the filmmaker that may want to try and sell their film on Amazon.com.

    I'm not in anyway trying to devalue what you offer, I'm sure anyone here would love to have even one copy of their movie in DVD, but what if we want to share the love?

    -Alex





    ------------------

  7. #17
    Alex
    Guest Alex's Avatar

    Post


    The problem with DVD's at the moment as I have come to understand it is the technology that allows you to make a really cool DVD does not allow for the mass duplication at a very affordable rate, (As low as a dollar each once you order a thousand copies)

    Lets say the first DVD costs you anywhere from $500 to $2,500 depending on many issues.

    Once that hurdle is crossed, how much does replicating that DVD in mass cost.

    It does have to do with copyright infringement as you say, they don't want people making DVD's of StarWars than running off thosands of DVD's at a time.

    Ultimately, it's great to have even one DVD of a project you value.

    Once a DVD template has been created, the next real issue becomes how much does it cost to either make duplicates one at a time direct from the computer, or in mass from what I believe is called a "glass master".

    Ultimately, most people wanting a DVD will want more than one, and probably minimum a dozen to as many as several thousand.

    So once the initial time has been spent creating one DVD, does that time already invested and paid for result in a much cheaper mass run of DVD's?

    -Alex

    ------------------

  8. #18
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    Hmmmmm. Not my area of expertise, but I thought mass duplication of DVDs was as cheap as mass dupes of CDs. Is there really a diff in the mass duplication process?

    Roger

  9. #19
    Scott Nocella
    Guest Scott Nocella's Avatar

    Post

    One can create the Master DVD and send that or a Digital Linear Tape off to a replication house and they can make copies. It has been my experience that the minimum order has been a significant number, and it's expensive. I know for myself that I can burn copies but it is by no means a fast process since there is a lot involved. If your DVD content is more than 2 hours in length, then it will need to go to DLT since my program DVD Studio Pro 1.1 currently has 4.7GB discs available from manufacturers at present moment. Each DVD is a master since it's mathemetical information that is not subject to successive generational losses. I run each DVD from the origninal source files....I do not make copies of completed DVDs....That's a replication house that has those kind of deep pockets to spend.

    At present moment......one is going to pay, and economic benefit will be realized by doing mass replications. Ordering a small amount is costly, and in my opinion it's better to have something you're really satisfied with to have produced on a mass scale and distribute or sell. Do it once, so you don't have to do it again. That's just my opinion. Of coarse there may be an application where you just want to cut a demo that's veiwable by just one or a few people. Every situation is different.....since this is custom work it's all in the vision.

    Scott



    ------------------

  10. #20
    Alex
    Guest Alex's Avatar

    Post


    An excellent application for DVD would be the "flicker festivals" (mentioned in the Flicker topic)...

    They accept Super-8, 16mm, VHS transfer of film originals only for their screenings....

    ....and they also accept DVD's of film originals only.

    Scott, is it possible down the road that without too much more investment, you could make 3 or 4 DVD's at a time...

    Does the "burning" aspect of making a DVD have to be done to only one burner at a time...

    Or....

    If the files that are used to create the DVD could be "distributed" to four DVD burning devices at the same time...

    Than you could use four burners DVD burners all hooked up to the same computer....

    (the theory being that the burners are significantly cheaper than the actual complete set-up...

    Is that an option?

    I bet there is a terrific market potential for making anywhere from 10 to 100 DVD's....for people who can't afford making 1,000 copies, but want more than one or two.

    -Alex



    ------------------

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •